Search for your desired topic within my newsletters by typing it into
the dialog box immediately below:
String Instrument Newsletter
NOTE: After 23 newsletters,
I've decided it was easier to publish my technical ramblings in blog
form. If you haven't received your fill with these 23, find all future
guitar-making musings and Q & A's in my new blog,
Newsletter 1: Diagnosing a Neck Reset I
- Don't decide until you've exhausted all simpler adjustments
- Newsletter 2: Diagnosing a Neck Reset II
- Measuring and setting the action height and verifying the scale PLUS words of
wisdom from Mr. Epiphone himself!
- Newsletter 3: Diagnosing a Neck Reset III
- How the neck angle and the string's back angle are related--and why it matters
- Newsletter 4: Arching fingerboards
- A meditation upon different arching schemes, and their rationale
- Newsletter 5: Positive and negative fretboard
- Where the fingerboard meets the soundboard: a train wreck?
- Newsletter 6: Science, Art and Guitar
- Personal notes on the Kasha system
- Newsletter 7: Neck Angle Value
- How much of this value is in your guitar?
- Newsletter 8: Any Questions?
- Reader inquiries: what do I think of the Kasha system? How do you set up classical
guitars? What is the Journal of Guitar Acoustics?
- Newsletter 9: Acoustic Guitar Amplification I
- Notes on contact pickups and strip transducers.
- Newsletter 10: Acoustic Guitar Amplification II
- Notes on internal guitar microphones, guitar plate tuning and Gibson headaches.
- Newsletter 11: Ignore Mother Nature--At Your
- How some basic understanding of wood anatomy allows me to guarantee my instruments
- Newsletter 12: Hang in there!
- Some sound advice for aspiring members
- Newsletter 13: Any Questions? II
- Do luthiers make good acousticians? Is a center seam necessary? ..and the Problem G
- Newsletter 14: Any Questions? III
- Fret end sharpies, fretboard dings, and why not finish the guitar's interior?
- Newsletter 15: Any Questions? IV
- Does it hurt to take all the strings off at once? Necks under stress..
- Newsletter 16: Tap tones, guitar graphite, etc.
- Birth of the graphite laminate soundboard; tap tones; Bridge size, and so forth...
- Newsletter 17: I get letters...Lots of letters.
- Bad intonation, bad neck angle problems; cedar vs. spruce; exchange about guitar
- Newsletter 18: More letters.
- Neck bolt issues, neck angle issues, issues and more issues
- Newsletter 19: Tap tones, compensations and
- Reader's email queries
- Newsletter 20: Cocobolo, swivel vises, high
action on classics
- More reader's email queries
- Newsletter 21: Guitarmaking hubris and
- Even more email queries
- Newsletter 22: My top looks like a potato
- Why is my guitar dead?...and other problems
- Newsletter 23: My
controversial thoughts on Tap
- Should I become a guitarmaker?...and other problems